Monday, August 15, 2005
  this post made possible by: SALTINE crackers
I *finally* got some of my pictures uploaded. It took a long time. There are probably some 30 pictures I'm going to post, and I picked them out of over one hundred photos. Looking thru, the pictures really don't do much justice as to what we saw yesterday!

We headed out in the morning, around 11:00. Our first stop was to get coffee. John went in and got them while I waited in the car and snapped some pictures of the town, just for fun, through the car window. Here's one of them.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This building was an old bank. Now it's a sub shop!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Me waiting in the car! It was chilly outside, so I wore a sweater the entire day. It was sure nice to wear my happy sweater.

Next we drove and drove and drove and drove. The next stop was a small town called Sleepy Eye, named after an Indian Chief. But before we pulled into the town, I took some pictures of a really, really long train! They aren't the best pictures, because we were driving 60 mph, but luckily the train was at a stop.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This is my favorite one. For some reason, it makes me think "P.T. Barnum!"

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
We saw a lot of farms, but not many silos. Silos have always fascinated me.

We stopped for lunch and then headed onward to Jeffers Petroglyphs. We looked around the visitor's center, watched a short movie, and then walked around a little bit outdoors. We made it there just in time for a driving tour around other fascinating places of the area.

The first place was a quarry. I didn't find it too interesting because it was just a quarry...but the layered rocks were beautiful. The next place was gorgeous. Next to the petroglyphs, it was my favorite. It is a hot spot for the youth of the area, because it consists of dells, waterfalls, and...a bottomless pit! That's right! Many people have tried swimming to the bottom, but to no avail.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This is just the beginning!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
some of the rock...it's a deep drop!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
looking across, you can see a small picnic area with a rope that people use to swing themselves into the PIT!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
the pit...I don't know if I'd go in there!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
John contemplating if he should jump in or not...just kidding. He was scared of the height!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
A pretty waterfall at the other end of the park.

Next, we moved on to another park. I'm sorry I don't remember the names of these places. I really don't even remember what was said about them. I was just fascinated by their appearances, not by the words that were spoken about them. It was just another area created by glaciers long, long ago. Beautiful rocks, some of the oldest exposed rocks in the world.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
lichens gradually taking over the surface of the rocks.
 


<< Home
old diary. had to abandon because of morning sickness (go figure)!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

I'm in the process of figuring out myself and my life.

ARCHIVES
July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / May 2006 /


Powered by Blogger